Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Impact

Life surprises me sometimes with delightful beings who leave a lasting impact. I wish this happened every day, though lately it has been happening frequently each week thanks to interviewing sources for articles. 

Last Friday I chatted with Paula Goldman, a wonderful woman and gifted photographer. Her voice echoed Hudson's aunt's voice, warm and wise. We chatted for about 45 minutes, exploring tangents, sharing laughter and ending the conversation with a brief discussion of frustrating life in sprawling Los Angeles. Among the many things she said that grabbed my attention, I really liked this: "That's where all the work comes from, right? Just from life. Part of it's decaying, part of it's kids, part of it's laughing." She splits her life, not sure how evenly, between her work and family. Some day I will understand how women do it. How they juggle it all and keep everything in motion. Life is chaos as-is. I am unable to fathom adding a dependent being into the equation and come up with an answer. It all amazes me, this extraordinary mess we call life...

But back to Paula!

Please swing on by the west side before March 27th and check out her exhibit at The G2 Gallery. Her work is so unique as is the gallery's mission. My beat is environmental arts; G2 is sort of my haven. They donate all proceeds from art sales to various environmental groups. Paula's opening reception is this Friday, so if First Fridays on Abbot Kinney is your thing, definitely go! You'll get to meet the lovely Paula and immerse yourself in her work and live music. Go ahead, indulge.

You can read my article on the show here.

No comments:

Post a Comment