Monday, April 25, 2011

Mama Earth

Last Friday, April 22, the world celebrated Earth Day. One day out of three-hundred-sixty-five when we are asked to recognize our planet's selflessness, our selfishness and to act on our own selflessness. I hugged a tree. I recycled. I walked into town instead of driving. I planted four different types of perennials: Lavender, Georgia Blue, Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' and Jackanapes. While digging in the dirt and apologizing to various underground bugs for disrupting their afternoons, I wondered why we only recognize the earth once a year. It's wonderful that we do, but why can't we celebrate monthly? We should be giving back to the environment on our own every day, and many of us do. We purchase reusable bags and beam while telling the cashier at Trader Joe's, "I brought my own bag." We participate in trash pickups. We volunteer to clean beaches on Saturday mornings. We leave our cars parked and ride our bicycles. We carpool. We take public transportation. We compost. We recycle. We use cloth rags instead of wipes and paper towels. We drink from canteens instead of buying cases of bottled water. We turn off the water while brushing our teeth. We use energy-saver light bulbs. We install solar lights along our home's exterior pathways. We do what we can to reduce waste and reverse enviro-damage. But we can all do more.

Lavender
I'm an Angeleno. I've been one for the past 4.5 years. While I still fantasize about living in Paris, writing at quaint sidewalk cafes on Boulevard Saint-Germain, I do love my current city, especially the west side, specifically Venice. But like the rest of the sprawl's 9.9 million inhabitants, I'm tired of the smog. I'm tired of looking out on my city after a hike and being blinded by that disgusting brown blanket. This is not every day, but when the temperature's high and the winds are wrong, this is the typical scene. L.A. is the fourth most polluted U.S. city by short-term particle pollution, the third most polluted U.S. city by year-round particle pollution and THE most polluted U.S. city by ozone pollution, according to the State of the Air 2010, a report conducted by the American Lung Association.

In honor of Earth Day, I have pledged to do more for Mama Earth every day. I also urge Angelenos to do more throughout the entire summer in my latest LAist post. You can read it here. After researching numerous local green events, I rounded up the ten most interesting finds.

Jackanapes, Coreopsis 'Early Sunrise' and Georgia Blue. And solar light.
Embrace your inner treehugger. There's nothing wrong with taking responsibility for your planet. There's everything right about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment