Monday, June 6, 2011

Lessons in Humanity

Be nice. Be polite. Be fair. Put yourself in his/her shoes. I believe if you follow these morals and those similar, you will live a happy life and also make others happy. This year I'm focusing on being more selfless and just being nice in general. I'm a nice person. However, we all have our moments. I am trying not to have these moments. (Though the gypsy Tarot card/palm reader on Venice Beach did call me out on bossing around Hudson...) I'm trying. And my efforts paid off. Literally.

I broke my foot on the first day of this new year. It was a blessing and a curse. A blessing as it forced upon me healthy eating habits and productivity. The curse portion is obvious. I won't go into detail. I left my full-time job mid-January to pursue a career more focused on editorial opportunities. And with that freedom went my health insurance. COBRA proved ludicrously expensive. Blue Cross denied me due to my pre-existing condition. I, of course, blogged about that experience here. Luckily my orthopedist would continue to see me, and luckily I met Josie. Josie works in the accounting department and is an angel. With my tail between my legs, I smiled and explained my situation. She understood. And with each check-up she shaved a few more dollars off my bill. While her scornful job-related comments convinced me that she enjoys nothing about her job, she always remained polite and pleasant. And apparently I did, too.

My last appointment was Wednesday, May 25. Confident that my foot was healed, I hopped onto the x-ray table, laughing at the technician's usual joke before he snapped a shot: "Smile!" The doctor entered my room with a smile, and I, resisting the urge to put down my People magazine, returned his expression. My foot was healed. I could hop. I could jump. I could run. I just had to ease into it. I skipped towards the exit, turning right into Josie's open-wall "office" and told her the good news. I thanked her again for all of her help over the last few months. I wished her a great rest of her week. She told me she'd mail me the check, as usual.

When I called Josie to pay my final installment of "The Metatarsal Trust," I thanked her again. And she said something like this. "You are always so polite and pleasant. I don't help everyone, but when someone is as nice as you, I am happy to reciprocate." That felt good. That felt great. That felt phenomenal. She made my day, my week and possibly my year.

So there you have it. Be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment