Monday, May 16, 2011

Alexander Calder, My Homie

"Bird" by Alexander Calder. Image courtesy of OCMA.
I cannot pinpoint the exact year when I was first introduced to Alexander Calder, though it was during my high school days. English, French, Psychology and Art were my most favored subjects. Oh, and lunch. Mind you, I do not excel in visual creation. My creations form within my imagination and bleed through my fingertips in the form of words. I loved his work, not just the famous mobiles - all of it - the stabiles and sculptures, too. Mesmerized by his dedication to handwork and mastery of balance, my heart gladly skipped a few beats whenever I experienced a new piece. His 34-foot white mobile, "Ghost," stretches across the ceiling at the Philadelphia Museum of Art. In college, while studying English and Filmmaking at Temple, I'd visit every so often, quite possibly just to watch this creation rotate slowly in the air. Hence, I jumped at the opportunity to write a review of his current exhibit at Orange County Museum of Art for OC Arts & Culture. You must check out this exhibit if you are an L.A. or OC local. And you must read my review here then shower me with compliments. Merci!

No comments:

Post a Comment