Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Buying Local & Taboo Tales

There's nothing taboo about buying local. Unique LA is the largest independent show of its kind in the country, and it conveniently takes place right here in L.A. I interviewed Sonja Rasula, Unique LA's fabulous founder, and crafted an LAist post to help promote the event. Though I was watering flowers, ripping moldy bathtub tiles from the walls, sucking up cobwebs and spider corpses, birdwatching and hiking in Running Springs all weekend, I still felt like I was a tiny part of the event. You can read my coverage here.

Now let's talk taboo. What's taboo to you? We all posses embarrassing feelings towards certain topics; those which we never discuss with others, that make us cringe, that we feel are beyond conversation or mention. My friend and fellow writer, Laurenne Sala, along with Corey Podell, a writer and comedian, founded Taboo Tales last year as a safe haven to approach these subjects with a heavy dose of comedy. I attended my first Taboo Tales in March and am stoked for tomorrow night's show. The event is effective. I laughed as a woman, healed from her horrific past, described her childhood memories of being raped by her alcoholic father. Yes, I laughed. Why? Because she made me. With her comedic writing, timing, wit and impressive presentation, I could not help but laugh with her, though at some points, I definitely felt uncomfortable. After the show a feeling of liberation warmed me. I felt like I could discuss any and everything with those around me. Checkout my coverage here. And most importantly, checkout a show! You will not regret it. If you experience a similar elation as I, you might just be inspired. And that's a wonderful feeling. Run with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment