Friday, May 20, 2011

Lessons in Humanity

One of my 2011 resolutions is to be the most positive person I can be. Naturally optimistic, this isn't the most challenging feat, but it is a quality that I want to improve. And I have. And I want everyone out there to join me. I've grown tired of hearing the complaints, the whining, the claims that "the universe is against me" and "I've tried everything to lose weight, but I just can't." Don't blame your metabolism. Chances are it's completely normal. We are ultimately responsible for our happiness. Outside factors affect us, no doubt, but if there is something wrong in our lives, we can change it. Hate your job? Quit. Tired of America? Move. Sick of tugging on those love handles, muffin tops, grandma arms and flabby inner thighs? Eat healthy, decrease your portions and exercise. It's all very simple. But for some reason we choose to complicate things. We live outside of our means. We choose the fancy car instead of the sensible option that will allow us to enjoy life instead of work to support our possessions. It's fine if you want to own fancy things. But don't sink yourself into debt and cry about it. That's your fault. Deal with it. Work harder. Do more. Think.

My solutions are as follows: Live a simple life, speak with reason, embrace a cause or dozens, follow your dreams, live your life and find something to be thankful for every day. Trust me, I'm not a doctor or a politician. Today I am thankful for the ability to spend the morning writing with my writing partner at a cafe in Santa Monica. It's afternoon, and I'm still here, pounding away at my thoughts and keyboard. Yesterday I was thankful to celebrate the birthday of one of my favorite ladies. Wednesday I enjoyed an hour-long facial in the early afternoon. My skin is thankful, and I think I'll indulge more often rather than go several years sans facial pampering.

Perhaps we should think in the grand scheme of things before letting the corners of our mouths sag. Will a certain moment matter tomorrow? Maybe not. Distressed about an upcoming event? Just think about it in terms of time. It's just a tiny chunk out of your entire life. It's going to be ok. It will pass. Have a bad day at work? That's ok. There are 225 days remaining in 2011. Surely those days can and will be better.

Look up, friends. It's warm and sunny up here.

No comments:

Post a Comment