Saturday, January 29, 2011

Things We Do Big

Obama's State of the Union address earlier this week failed to inspire me. Honestly, the words of politicians have little effect on me. It's their actions that ignite my interest. Though Mr. President's speech was teeming with strong quotes, the phrase/theme, "We do big things," has unfortunately stuck. Are we finally giving into the "dumb American" stereotype and abandoning any motivation to prove educated?


Appearing in my inbox shortly thereafter was a pitifully titled email from Mr. President - "We do big things." After noting a few key points from his discourse, he reiterated, "Yet the story of America is this: We do big things." I know we do. While a bit shaken, we're still a superpower. Don't get me wrong, I strongly support Obama. But team, couldn't we have dreamed up something a little better? Something with more gusto, more hope and more brain? 


In another email I was offered a free t-shirt if I donated just $25 to the Obama campaign. What does this shirt say? You guessed it! WE DO BIG THINGS. Topped with a tiny picture of our country like a dainty maraschino cherry. Le sigh. It claims to be a limited edition, and I really hope this holds true.


This gutless slogan brings to my mind elementary phrases like:


See Spot run! (& just about any line from a Dick and Jane book.)
I ate a big red candle.
I am job.
Hooked on Phonics worked for me.
I like crayons.
I want to go to there.
Stuff is cool.
I like things.
Are we there yet?
Have you seen my baseball?
Dude, what's mine say?
Sweet, what's mine say?
The horse goes "neigh."
Never go full retard.


No comments:

Post a Comment