Wednesday, February 9, 2011

From Laguna Art Museum with Love

Yes, I titled my most recent LAist article after the second James Bond film starring my favorite Bond, Sir Sean Connery. Yes, I'm quite Bond savvy. And for that I thank my brother.

Chatting with Bolton Colburn, Director of Laguna Art Museum, on the phone yesterday, I learned a great deal about the museum and particularly this year's art auction. Appropriately themed "LOVE" and taking place just two days before Valentine's Day, the auction is not only a highly anticipated event that brings the community together with artists, collectors and museum staff, it also helps support this non-profit learning institution. What I was unable to detail in my article due to length are the impressive educational programs that the museum runs and how it's generally funded.

One of the museum’s educational programs welcomes third and fourth graders in the Southern California region to visit the museum and study primary objects that deal with the regional and state history curriculum they are currently learning. Additionally, a gallery within the museum circulates artwork from creative classes in Orange and Los Angeles Counties. How awesome is that?

Producing between ten and twelve exhibitions each year, the museum benefits from fundraisers like the art auction to help fund these displays. Existing as a prominent non-profit establishment, Laguna Art Museum relies heavily on individual gifts, grants, corporate support, major fundraising events and admissions prices, according to Marni Farmer, Director of Communications.

Click here to read my LAist coverage. Click your seatbelt and head to the auction this Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment