Monday, February 14, 2011

Polenta Pie with Wild Mushroom Filling

Sounds tasty, doesn’t it? I know it does. That’s why we chose it as the dish I will conquer this evening to celebrate Valentine’s Day. Currently an avid calorie counter using MyFitnessPal, I began entering in the teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, cups, sprigs and pounds of ingredients into my food tracker to create the recipe and determine how many slices of savory pie I can enjoy tonight. Hopefully the result > 1. While building the list, I’m thinking about Valentine’s Day, remembering the days when I was single and bitter, hating on this annual commemoration, agreeing with the many others who refer to it as a “Hallmark holiday,” a sad excuse to stop being a lazy lover and neglecting your loved one for a day, a slap in the face reminder that YOU ARE SINGLE. NO ONE LOVES YOU. YOU ARE GOING TO DIE ALONE. So sad. So solo. I recall plans to steal my father’s bow and arrow, hunt down Cupid and maliciously prick his chubby white ass. Several times. But now these thoughts are just silly. One mate always outlives the other. You run the risk of dying alone anyways. Someone has always loved me. And so what if I was single? I was never more independent in my life.

As I typed “extra-virgin olive oil,” I started thinking about sex because that’s just how my mind works. I began to really appreciate this romantic day. Admittedly, I am quite the corporate-hating petition-signing activist who just wants the world to be a better place. And if there’s a time when I can hate on an event, a commercial farce that’s become a multibillion dollar day which wastes resources, promotes the creation and selling of paper cards and wrappings, fosters the sale of blood diamonds, encourages supporting flower farms where violent labor abuses transpire, Valentine’s Day is it. But I don’t hate this day. I actually love it. Hudson is my first and hopefully last love, and while we’re a pretty kickass team, there are days when I should grab him a gift just because. I should cook dinner to thank him for taking outstanding care of me since day one of this year. I should make dessert, too. But sometimes I just forget. And we’re all a little guilty of lacking in habitual romantic gestures.

In my opinion, February 14 is a needed reminder to stop and think about the one who has claimed that once empty chamber in your heart. The one person you go to for everything. Your best friend. The one being who knows everything about you, probably too much. The man or woman who sees you for everything that you are and still loves you - who sees you, studies you, arranges you into neat little sections and scrutinizes those and still decides you are worth his or her love, time and life. In a world where we’re racing through life, sometimes failing to LIVE life, reminders are good. Reminders are great. And if you celebrate Valentine’s Day efficiently, where, in my opinion again, you send an eCard or recycled paper card, you buy local flowers thus support your local florist, like from my wonderful friend, Bubba AKA Adriene, you purchase handmade jewelry, you choose chocolates from a local sweetery, why not glorify today? Or don’t buy a thing. Just say “I love you” too many times (which is impossible) et donnez des baisers all over your beloved.

If you don’t have a mate, you must have a friend. You must have family. There is someone out there who you at least like. Call him. Write to her. Do something to show your appreciation of that person. If not amorous, it’s at least supportive outreach. Make someone feel special, even if society is practically forcing you to do so.

Tonight, I award my love with the awesomely vegan dish titling this blog entry plus not-quite-vegan but healthy-ish homemade truffles. A big production for a woman who rarely squeezes into an apron and mitts, it is oh so worth it.

Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment