Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Recent Articles for Circus Lovers and Contemporary Art Enthusiasts

I love writing for LAist. I've been doing so for the past month, and I've never felt so creatively fulfilled and proud of my work. All topics I've pitched, they've accepted. Recently granted access to their posting platform, I won't need to bug my editor quite as often, plus I feel like a part of the family.

A large portion of my research is interviewing subjects. Since I'm still a gimp, I've been forced to rely on phone interviews. Don't get me wrong, I love doing them and they're much more convenient than actual rendezvous, but I like people. I enjoy talking to them, face-to-face, noting their quirks, their style, their treat preferences, all those delightful traits to which I'm blind when conversing on the phone. 

Having recently discovered Google Voice, phone interviews are much more enjoyable now. I'm no longer pounding on my keyboard in a desperate attempt to capture every word and quote. I love quotes. And with this system, I record all conversations for reference. No typing as I'm interviewing means full engagement in the conversation. It's quite wonderful. One thing - Google Voice, you really need to upgrade your system to record received calls. I can't complain much since this system is free, but it's not ideal to call someone, then ask them to call you on a different number. But c'est la vie. I'll go cry in the corner since there are no other issues plaguing the world.

My most recent interviews and articles inspired me greatly. I chatted with Patrick, the owner of C.A.V.E. Gallery in Venice to gain more insight into the gallery's newest collection, 'Outside, Looking In,' which opened last Friday. He's a warm man with a giant heart for art. I cannot wait to meet him. Checkout my article here.

The other event I covered last week was 'Behind the Striped Curtain,' an insane circus art exhibition at Rothick Art Haus in Anaheim. I interviewed Michael White, the featured artist. Our chat consisted of much laughter, as he's quite a funny lad, and great amounts of information on his inspirations, life and excitement for the show's opening. Never able to include all the tidbits, I'll save them for the next piece on White. You can enjoy my coverage here.

If either exhibit interests you, they're both still on display. In fact, they both better interest you, or I haven't done my job. Or you're boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment